Retractable Pool Enclosures - Architectural Guide
COVERS in Play designs the world’s most modern, state of the art, retractable enclosures, specifically for our climate extremes. The system is designed with the durability and strength required to stand up against hurricane winds and heavy snow loads, while maintaining a elegant aesthetic architecture. COVERS in Play enclosures have been designed to enclose areas to allow for year round use. Our enclosures can be built over any outdoor space for patios, swimming pools, restaurants, event venues and rooftop areas if desired for residential and commercial applications.
Retractable or Fixed Pool and Retractable Roofs, Profiles
- Single Peak retractable roofs, patio enclosures or swimming pool enclosures designed with a gable roof profile
- Triple Peak enclosures designed with gambrel roof profile
- Multi Peak enclosures have a roof profile similar to a modified bowstring roof
- The above roof profiles can easily be incorporated into Lean-to style pool enclosures, retractable roofs or patio enclosures installed against the side of a house or building
Styles and Applications for Pool Enclosures
Aluminum extrusions, twinwall polycarbonate roof panels and clear acrylic side wall vision panels are manufactured with stainless steel hardware/components into an array of panels that form moveable bays. These bays are sized to slide under each other, nesting at the end of the enclosure. Or, they can be arranged to open from the middle of the enclosure towards both ends if desired. The end walls and side walls can integrate any number of doors and windows as desired. Pool enclosures can be built to be free standing or made to attach to a building, if desired. Lean-to style as well. Operable or fixed. They can also be arranged as a skylight or an operable retractable roof.
- Free standing or attached to a new or an existing building
- Fixed structures or retractable swimming pool enclosures or sunroom enclosures with telescoping bays
- Can be retracted from the middle of the enclosure both ways or slide all in one direction to bank up at one end
- Can retract over or into an existing or new building, to be out of sight
- Commercial retractable pool enclosures can be designed for site specific requirements with a combination of retractable or fixed sections
Enclosure Structural Durability
The COVERS in Play patented retractable pool enclosure have been designed as a graceful, light weight, thermally efficient system, providing maximum clear uncluttered views of the outdoors without the need for angled trusses, webs and additional supports for long spans. The outcome of this patented framing system is large clear vision areas and enclosure end walls with slender support architecture, light and strong enough for fluid motion and still the right strength for the most stringent of load demands for the local Building Code.
- Almost any wall height can be supported
- Patented structural design, includes hidden stainless steel rods, that preload the enclosure structure to withstand heavy snow and wind loads
- Patented framing system gives up to 80in of daylight openings between frame supports
- No cross bracing or other truss angled structural supports needed
- No forcing or hammering the framing system together, unique joint assembly
- Architectural paint finish exceed or meets the AAMA (American Architectural Manufacturers Association) specification 2605
Automatic Electric Drive System for Retractable Roofs or Pool Enclosures
Smooth quiet retraction is accomplished with a patented retraction system. Maintenance free system that operates with flush mounted tracks installed with the deck, no risk of a tripping hazard. The controls are designed for a failsafe operation preventing damage or injury should a person, pet or object be in the track area when operational.
- Patented automatic electric drive with reduction gear motors, typically requires up to 30 Amps, 220V Single-Phase
- Push button, line of site controls with safety and security key required for operation
- Automatic electric drive system for small and large applications for commercial or residential locations
- For large commercial applications dual controls can be implemented
Building Interfaces and Structural Foundations Required
The system is specifically designed, engineered and manufactured for each specific project and site conditions. Structural foundations to meet local building code requirements are necessary for the patented retraction system’s tracks to ensure the life and integrity of the system. COVERS in Playprovides design load details, dimensional requirements and electrical.
- Concrete deck slab finish FF 140 and FL 100
- Water drains at the bottom of the drive motor and pulley pits and end of tracks
- Typical 12” grade beam with 12” Sonotube or foundation frost wall
- Structural steel building interfaces or engineered sub framing can be accommodated
- All structural steel supports if required are hot dipped galvanized and then painted to match the enclosure
Windows and Doors
The enclosure system can include any number of sliding doors and horizontal sliding windows with fly screens, man doors, positioned as per customer’s requirements.
- Standard sliding glass doors with an option of double sliding doors (OXXO) up to 16ft
- Bi-folding doors with vertical seal
- Nan doors for easy entry and exit
- Windows can be placed in any location of the structure
- Electric automatic actuators can also be installed to close or open any windows for commercial or residential pool enclosures
Pool Enclosure Glazing
The patented extrusion assembly designed for streamlines structural dimensions for a clean look that is achieved with no additional supports or trusses. No structural members are left obscuring the view when retracted. Open air above the open area.
- No need for cross-bracing in the structural framing gives wide unobstructed views
- Standard twin-wall polycarbonate panels (10mm) for enclosure roof, and available up to 25mm
- Clear standard acrylic wall panels
- Optional opaque and tinted thermoplastics, insulated panels, glass, etc.
Retractable Roof and Retractable Pool Enclosure Features
- All framing and components, synthetic weather seals, stainless-steel fasteners, baked on paint finish, have been selected and designed for outdoor, humid environmental conditions. Nothing will corrode, rust, rot or mould. No de-humidification is necessary for the structure
- Double seals between all telescoping bays allow for year round use, even during winter months
- Low track profile designed for embedded eliminating tripping hazards for traffic areas
- Solar heat gain for extended seasonal use with minimal heating cost and installation of a heating system the space can be used year round
Retractable Roofs and Pool Enclosure Installation
- The patented COVERS in Playframing system provides clear viewing areas and slender support end walls design, light enough for retraction motion and the required strength for stringent load requirements required for local Building Code compliance
- The enclosure system has been designed specifically to be pre-manufactured for fast simple assembly at the installation site, for smaller enclosures usually within a week or so, depending on complexity and size.
- Some components are partially assembled, while the glazing and framing materials are packaged and shipped knock down on wrapped skids for transportation and short term storage if required
- Assembly is done by local personnel overseen by COVERS in Play on-site qualified personnel
Larger Installations- Modular Concept
The concept illustrated below shows a square shaped building footprint. The enclosure system can be made to fit almost any configuration. Rectangular or square is optimum for installation and manufacturing; however L-shape or any other configurations can be accommodated.
This modular illustrates 12’ high side walls with a number of triple peak roof profiles. 12’ elevated beams support the roof systems that can be closed and opened simultaneously or independently with both sides when operating. Size and number of modules can be designed to site conditions and client requirements. As well with the overall dimensions, spacing of beams, overall heights, spacing of columns, doors and windows, etc.
This modular concept illustrates 50 percent of the area exposed when opened. The system can be engineered to have a large number of operational bays as required, increasing the percentage of open area. The overall system is custom engineered for each installation.